Following two crashes and a few punches between the drivers, a slew of media outlets lit up with rumors of sanctions, fines, and other punishment from the governing body, but others speculated as to what the drivers would say following the incident.
NASCAR's Spencer Gallagher appears to be the first to speak up about his altercation with John Wes Townley during Saturday's Camping World Truck Series.
Before the two drivers grappled and threw a couple punches - they had gotten their vehicles tangled up not once, but twice during the 160-lap race.
After the second crash, an awkward fight ensued on the track leaving the audience and crew members shocked.
Gallagher released a public apology on Monday, and specifically apologized to his opponent.
“First, I would like to apologize to John Wes Townley. Additionally, to his team and fans, I am sorry. The incident earlier in the race was not intentional and certainly was not meant to cause bigger problems later in the event," his statement reads, in part.
"I am ashamed that I was part of an incident that has allowed so many to view what we do in a negative light," Gallagher continued. "My teammates and all of the guys back at the shop deserve more respect than was shown Saturday night."
Both drivers are were significantly fined. According to SB Nation, NASCAR's governing body has fined Townley $15,000 and Gallagher $12,500.
Other drivers watching the race, like Tony Stewart, said that they enjoyed the skirmish.
“That made my whole day, watching the truck race,” Stewart said. “I … had no idea that John Wes Townley was going to make my top five hero list of all time. I'm following him on social media now.”
Watch the full wrestle/fight match below and let us know what you think in the comments.
Interested in becoming a partner?
Contact us for more info.