TobyMac’s Son Reportedly Died Of An Accidental Overdose


The 21-year-old son of Christian rapper TobyMac passed away last October. His cause of death has finally been released.

Multiple reports state that Truett Foster McKeehan died of an accidental overdose of fentanyl and amphetamines. TobyMac’s representative confirmed to PEOPLE that both drugs were found in Truett’s system. Truett died at his family’s Tennessee home on October 23 after medics responded to a cardiac arrest call.

TobyMac took to social media to pay tribute to his son, an aspiring artist, after his passing and recalled their last moments together.

“Truett Foster Mckeehan had joy that took the room when he entered. He was a magnetic son and brother and friend. If you met him, you knew him, you remembered him. His smile, his laugh, the encouragement he offered with words or even without. He had an untamable grand personality and dreams to match. And he hated being put in a box,” TobyMac wrote. He then recalled the last time he saw his his first solo show in Tennessee. “As I stood in the audience and watched my son bring joy to a room, I was as proud as a ‘pop’ (as tru called me) could be. It was the culminating moment of a dream that he had since he was 12. It couldn’t have been sweeter.”

TobyMac and his wife Amanda Levy McKeehan set up a foundation in honor of their son, the Truett Foster Foundation, which aims to raise funds to help kids follow their dream of making music.

Our thoughts and prayers continue to be with TobyMac and his family.

Want to save this article?

Get this sent to your inbox, plus, get new articles & videos from us every week!

Sponsors / Partners

Interested in becoming a partner?

Contact us for more info

Unapologetically Country

Receive daily updates with the best country music videos, news, and more!